Gage Park started in 1873 when the South Park Commissioner George W. Gage started work on a planned park for the area which the area is named for. The area was organized as the town of Lake in 1865, which became part of Chicago in 1889.
After Gage’s passing, area continued to develop growing in size and population, with additional community services offered helping growth. The advent of more modern means of transportation and of industry triggered the arrival of more settlers by the first decades of the 20th century.
The park was enlarged in the 1930s and includes ball parks, tennis courts, an auditorium, men’s and women’s gymnasiums, a wading pool and a field house.
The CTA’s Orange Line follows the northern border of Gage Park

